Career Awareness and Readiness Equals Success (CARES) is a work readiness and career awareness training program with two distinct models
- A school-based model focused on certain Detroit high schools, including 10th through 12th grade students.
- A year-round model focusing on youth 14-21 both in- and out-of school.
The CARES school-based model includes academic instruction integrated with Career Technical Education and Work Readiness Training. Expected outcomes include:
- High school completion
- College credit
- Technical credentials
- A Work Readiness Credential
The Year-Round Model has a wider audience then the school-based model, focusing on youth aged 14-21 both in- and out-of school. Program elements include:
- Case management
- Basic and work readiness skills training
- Occupational training
- Paid work experiences, including the Detroit Summer Youth Employment Program
- Follow-up and supportive services
Youth should call the DESC Youth Hotline on (313) 664-5624 for further information about which programs are the best fit for them.