Then they need to know about the DESC ReEntry One-Stop Service Center!
Located inside the Macomb Correctional Facility is a One-Stop Service Center designed to help Michigan Department of Corrections (MDOC) inmates and parolees find a job as soon as they are released.
One of the most important things for a former MDOC inmate to do after being released is to find stable employment. DESC works with individuals before and after they are released to train them, help them develop resumes, and provide access to numerous other supportive services. Our team of dedicated One-Stop professionals will help returning citizens:
- Figure out if they are ready for work
- Overcome barriers to employment
- Create a personal employment plan
- Connect to vocational skills workshops
- Access training and support services
- Study for and take GED/High School completion programs or industry recognized certifications
- Find a steady job with a Detroit business
Skills training includes:
- How to develop a resume
- How to fill out an employment application
- How to prepare for an interview
- How to talk about a criminal record
- Mock interviews to boost your confidence
- Making connections to find jobs
- Understanding what employers expect
- Training for specific careers
- Career advice to help you decide what you want to do
- Assistance getting placed into a new job
- Training on how to keep a job when you find one
- Access to adult Basic Education GED and vocational credentials
- Referral help for Mental and Physical Disabilities
- Access to One-Stop staff right in the neighborhood
Detroiters serving time at Macomb Correctional Facility or Detroit Reentry Center can sign up in their housing units to attend an Orientation at their facility’s One-Stop.
Any MDOC inmates across the state expecting to come home to Detroit before June 30, 2017 should contact the employment counselor at their facility to request an application for the Detroit Returning Citizens Project. Call 313-432-8332 for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Q: I am a Detroiter who is already released from a Michigan Department of Correction facility – can you help me?
A: We hold a meeting at the Lawton Parole Office (5300 Lawton, Detroit, MI 48208) on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 1:30 pm. If you are on parole, you can take advantage of the benefits by coming to the meeting and signing up. Call 313-432-8332.
Q: I’m a female parolee – can you help me?
A Yes – sign up at Lawton Parole Office (5300 Lawton, Detroit, MI 48208) or call 313-432-8332.
Q: I’m a female inmate – can you help me?
A: Yes. Once you are released, sign-up at the Lawton Parole office (5300 Lawton, Detroit, MI 48208). Call 313-432-8332 for more information.
Q: I am a Detroiter and I was released from a Wayne County Jail and not an MDOC facility – can you help me?
A: There are still many services provided to you through our neighborhood One-Stops. Click on the link for the location closest to you or call 1-800-285-WORKS.
Q: I am a Wayne County parolee who lives outside of Detroit – can you help me?
A: There are reentry supports available through the Southeast Michigan Community Alliance (SEMCA), a Michigan Works! Agency located at 35731 W. Michigan Avenue, Wayne, MI 48184. Call (734) 858-1564 to set up an appointment with SEMCA during business hours: Monday-Friday 8am-5pm.
Q: I live outside of Wayne County – can you help me?
A: There are reentry supports available through Michigan Works in your area – call 1-800-285-WORKS to speak to the Michigan Works agency nearest you.